tcl-rivet-dev mailing list archives

From dav...@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Subject Re: Windows makefile
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:02:55 GMT
Pat Thoyts <Pat.Thoyts@zsplat.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton) writes:

> >A question for Pat - did you try and give up on make.tcl or... what
> >was the problem?  I had hoped that it would work as a cross
> >platform builder.

> >In any case, a big thanks to Pat for his work!

> I tried and eventually gave up on it. My hacks were getting out of
> hand though I could probably revisit it. In general I think it's
> better to stick to the TEA2 configure/make format as much as
> possible. The files I've contributed here are the MSVC equivalents
> (modified from the tcl win sources). A more normal TEA configure.in
> wouldn't be much more work really, then I could use msys+mingw gcc
> or cygwin.

My goal with the Tcl stuff is to make it more cross platform, instead
of requiring that one have cygwin.  Although maybe most windows users
just want a binary anyway...

> Issues I had with make.tcl:
>  * Apache for Win32 doesn't provide apxs

Ouch.

>  * MSVC generates difference suffixes: .lib, .obj and .dll and we
>  don't normally prepend lib to libraries.

Ok.  The right one for "librivet.so" would be [info
sharedlibextension] though, right? And that would be .dll?

>  * link.exe has different option names from ld

Except for the -o, this should just grab things from tclConfig.sh:

    sh {$TCL_SHLIB_LD -o $MOD_SHLIB $MOD_OBJECTS $TCL_LIB_SPEC $TCL_LIBS}

>  * clean - we don't have rm

Fixed.

>  * install - dunno - installed to /opt/tcl/lib/tcllib1.4/rivet !?!

Hrm.  I'm still not even sure exactly where files should go (in terms
of available variables) on Unix.

>  * distclean - hah hah - yeah xargs :)

Mostly meant for my own convenience, but... we should do that in Tcl
too:-)

> Don't forget though - while this builds, it doesn't actually run
> usefully under Windows Apache 1.3.27. It's still looping around in
> the early initialisation.

Well, thanks the same though, at least now others can have a go at
debugging it.

I wonder what it's getting stuck on:-/

Thanks,
--