tcl-rivet-dev mailing list archives

From dav...@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Subject Re: Just a database
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 05:08:21 GMT
Damon Courtney <damon@your.unreality.com> writes:

> > >     So, my proposal is to use GDBM (a very small 40k library when
> > > compiled) as the database.

> > The problem is that it is GPL'ed software, and that means
> > licensing problems...

>     Doesn't that just mean that we have to distribute the source
> code for GDBM (which we'll do anyway)?  I guess I don't understand
> everything about the GPL.

Well, the ASF doesn't want anyone to 'pollute' their sources with GPL
code, as that means the whole thing has to be GPL.  We want everything
to be distributable under the ASF license.  Does that make sense?  If
not, I can find a clearer explanation somewhere.

We could of course ship an interface to gdbm, but that's not quite
what you had in mind:-/

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/