tcl-rivet-dev mailing list archives

From Ronnie Brunner <ron...@netcetera.ch>
Subject Re: sessions
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:52:12 GMT
> Mulling over a few ideas on ways to do sessions...

You know what websh3 does (lot's of complicated things). The few
interesting things that I think are basic are:

creating sessions (creating session keys)

maintaining session (using query string or cookies)

keeping data (in cookie or locally.) incl. handling of data (get and
set methods as well as load and save)

Imho, timeout handling should be done by the application and not by the
frame work (easy to do and most of the time quite specific). Cleanup
of old (unused) session info as suggested in an other reply to your
mail should be done async (housekeeping batch stuff or similar) (also
only imho)

I think we overdid the configurability in websh3 (it's too complicated
to handle) but if you ask me about the important hooks for
configurability, I'd say:

- create new session id
- load data
- save data

would be valuable entry points. default implementations could provide
an increasing integer as session id and loading and saving in the file
system.

> *) I don't think it should be too complex.

Definitly important! Rather simple than incredibly flexible (that's
what I learned the hard way, by doing it too complicated)

Ronnie