tcl-rivet-dev mailing list archives

From "David Brancato" <Da...@Brancato.com>
Subject Re: Head's up on potential Rivet problems with the Apple Safari web browser
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:10:36 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: David N. Welton <davidw@dedasys.com>
> Karl Lehenbauer <karl@superconnect.net> writes:
>
> > My Rivet app broke when trying to use it with Safari, Apple's new
> > web browser.  Cookies weren't getting set properly.
>
> > I examined the cookies in Safari, and their path was "/index.rvt"
> > instead of "/".  The cookie sets did not have an explicit path.
>
> > Examining cookies in Mozilla, their path was "/".
>
> > I changed my app to, wherever it did a cookie set, to add a "-path
> > /" and it fixed the app in Safari.
>
> > I don't know if you should consider changing "cookie set" to have a
> > default path, changing it to require a path, adding a note to the
> > documentation or waiting for Apple to sort it out... up to you.
>
> Hrm... having a default of / is probably the best thing.  I will
> implement this unless someone has strong feelings.

I say just because some beta software is messed up doesn't mean Rivet should
be messed up to match. Scripters should have confidence that if they do not
set a cookie path, a cookie path is not sent. If Safari is incorrectly
handling cookies then it is incompliant and needs to be fixed.

- David Brancato