tcl-mod_dtcl mailing list archives

From (David N. Welton)
Subject Re: Encodings
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2001 18:57:40 GMT
Francois GORET <> writes:

> I have to make web sites with Japanese, Korean and Chinese pages. Oddly, it
> nearly works (tested with Japanese only) simply by putting in mod_dtcl.c:
>  system_encoding = Tcl_GetEncoding(NULL, "identity");

Are you using the version from CVS?  You might try that, as I feel
confident that the code is correct as far as i18n.  Thanks to Wojciech
Kocjan, I have a better grasp of how Tcl should work.  Things are now
correct, and faster to boot!
> and adding { and } in the list of characters to quote, in parser.c
> (bug: if you put a { character in a page, as normal text, tcl
> complains for a non closed brace).

Yikes, thanks for pointing this out.  I have committed this to CVS.

> Now the clean solution would be to have a per-directory
> configuration option in httpd.conf, like:

> <Directory /home/web/jp>
> 	Dtcl_Script encoding iso-2022-jp
> </Directory>
> so that any ttml page from that directory will be read and sent with
> the right encoding. Did anybody already solved that problem? Any
> indication (even a few words) on how to do it would be a real time
> saver.

This sounds like a reasonable request.  I really want to take
advantage of all the work that makes Tcl good at i18n, in mod_dtcl.
Try the latest CVS version, and tell me how it works.  If there are
still problems, we can work together to make sure it does what you

David N. Welton
Free Software:
   Apache Tcl:

View raw message