taverna-users mailing list archives

From "Donal K. Fellows" <donal.k.fell...@manchester.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Resources to create UI using Workflow on Workbench
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2018 19:42:16 GMT
On 20/09/2018 16:45, Ian Dunlop wrote:
> I’m not sure how to get deep inside an actual workflow run. Donal
> Fellows, the person who wrote most of the server code, might be able to
> help (if he is still reading these emails!). I can’t think of any better
> suggestions beyond loading the code into a debugger. Although I think
> the actual workflow status, rather than workflow run status, is probably
> handled by other code.

I *sometimes* read these things. :-)

When I last worked with the Server (some time ago) there wasn't a
mechanism for directly querying what the status of the parts of a
workflow were when it was running (because the workflow execution engine
process didn't publish that info; it only wrote things out at the end).
I believe we worked around this by modifying the workflows to
occasionally write something relating to their status to a “known
location” (either files or services would work for this) that the
exterior service could poll periodically. That's not a general solution,
not without a mechanism for automatically creating the operations for
recording the status (possible, but not something that existed the last
time I looked), but it will work fine if one is only supporting a
defined set of workflows.

Or at least that's my first set of thoughts on how to do this.

Donal.