taverna-users mailing list archives

From "Donal K. Fellows" <donal.k.fell...@manchester.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Taverna Workbench crashes on Mac OS
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2017 10:33:48 GMT
On 07/02/2017 17:34, Michele Donato wrote:
> Any idea how to fix this to have it work without the graphic card
> switcharoo trick?

The problem is that it's a weird Java problem, and that's really out of
our league to fix. I've seen font-rendering problems in other simple
Java programs running on Retina displays, so I know it's not linked to
the Taverna code; there's at least a historic problem with the
differences between the handling of the glyph definitions and the
metrics for those glyphs when running on Retina displays, and maybe on
other HighDPI systems too. That there's a crash is bad, but it's hard to
pin it down to anything specific that we're doing wrong; we really don't
do very much over-clever with the GUI, or at least not in a way that
should produce a full process crash (as we just aren't using native code
that way).

The internals of font rendering are *very* complicated, in the “scare me
off every time I look” category (along with regular expression
evaluation engines), so the best that I think is possible at all is to
find an updated JRE and replace the internal version with something that
*might* be fixed. But without changing the major version of the JRE,
since that breaks other things (Taverna's critically dependent on both
security and classloader configuration, and those things *do* change
between major Java versions; one of the goals for Apache Taverna
Workbench is to stop having the worst of these problems, as they're
symptoms of sustainability problems).

I acknowledge that this is a singularly unhelpful message from your
perspective. Sorry about that…

Donal.