taverna-users mailing list archives

From Matthieu Melcot <matthieu.mel...@spaceapplications.com>
Subject A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:30:50 GMT
Dear Taverna Team,

I am currently looking for an orchestrator that could suit our project
needs.

I discovered Taverna and it seems very interesting.

I have a few questions that I would like to clarify before making the
choice of using Taverna in our project

The core of the project is the orchestration of WPS processes
(http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wps) which are Web Services for
Geospatial processing.
Basically, a client can request one of the 3 following
"GetCapabilities", "DescribeProcess", "Execute" and get a
response in XML

The WPS server implementation that we will use
(http://52north.org/communities/geoprocessing/wps/) doesn't embed the
WPS xml inside SOAP (even if the OGC WPS norm describes it), and their
are not WSDL capabilities.

1) Is it relatively easy to develop a component for Taverna that will
allow to add these WPS services into the "Services Available" for
building a workflow ? Which kind of effort would it represent ?
I read
(http://geoprocessing.forum.52north.org/Problem-with-Taverna-td4024997.html)
that some people try to use WPS with Taverna (Through WSDL however), but
they didnt succeed.

2) In the case that it is possible, is there some possibilities to
describe semantically the input and output of these WPS services (indeed
the input and outputs will always be URL (texts), but the URLs reference
different types of materials), so that it would be possible to check if
the connections are valid. It seems that Taverna has that kind of
mechanism...

3) My third question is about the monitoring and control of the workflow
execution.
Is there a way through the REST API to ask which part of a workflow is
actually executing.

4) Is there a simple Web Viewer/Controller (It seems that the "Taverna
Player" needs to be embedded in web pages in ruby). Is there a more
straightforward way to use this player in order to test it ?

5) Is there a mean to control and monitor the execution of a remote
workflow directly from the Taverna Workbench. It seems that "File / Open
Workflow Location" makes reference to a .t2flow remote file, and not a
workflow that would have been load into the Taverna Server.

Thanks in advance for your help

Matthieu Melcot

--
Matthieu Melcot
Software Engineer

Space Applications Services NV/SA
Leuvensesteenweg 325, 1932 Zaventem, Belgium
Direct: +32-(0)2-416.05.35
Main: +32-(0)2-721.54.84 Fax: +32-(0)2-721.54.44
www.spaceapplications.com