taverna-users mailing list archives

From "Hoeftberger, Johann" <Johann_Hoeftber...@DFCI.HARVARD.EDU>
Subject Re: Taverna and SGE
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:14:37 GMT
Hello Alan,

thank you for your answer.

On 11/26/2014 08:55 AM, alaninmcr wrote:
> On 25/11/2014 16:36, Hoeftberger, Johann wrote:
>> Can Taverna make use of a Sun Grid Engine Cluster and is there a good
>> explanation how to do that?
>
> What do you mean by "make use of" ? Do you want to have a workflow be
> run on a node in the cluster or to have individual steps within a
> workflow run be executed on nodes in the cluster?

I think both.
The most important need for me seems to be to have the ability that
individual steps within a workflow run on our SGE cluster transparently
for the user which uses the workflow. So those workflow steps should be
executed on nodes of the SGE cluster, the whole handshake for the usage
of those steps should be done by the Taverna system itself.

If that's possible, and I hope I can find a solution for that approach,
I don't see limitation to create whole workflows running on the SGE grid
too, except the "administration" of those workflows which should run on
a separated local PC where the Taverna GUI is running.

Or maybe later a commandline tool for the same purpose running on a
local PC AND/OR running on the SGE Grid cluster as cronjob.

>> I am looking for a working solution for this setting Taverna, SGE
>> Cluster, Bioinformatic workflows.
>> I appreciate good suggestions, let me know your ideas, please.
>
> I think it depends exactly what you are trying to do.

My aim is to build Taverna workflows which can make use of our SGE grid
for the computational demanding parts transparently (invisible) in the
background. Depending on the concrete workflow this could mean that all
workflow steps should be executed on the SGE grid.

I couldn't find any SGE Taverna solution so far, it seems to me SGE
isn't supported by Taverna!?

Regards,
Johann

dispose of the e-mail.