taverna-users mailing list archives

From alaninmcr <alanin...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Taverna and SGE
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:55:54 GMT
On 26/11/2014 15:14, Hoeftberger, Johann wrote:
> Hello Alan,

Hello

> thank you for your answer.
>
> On 11/26/2014 08:55 AM, alaninmcr wrote:
>> On 25/11/2014 16:36, Hoeftberger, Johann wrote:
>>> Can Taverna make use of a Sun Grid Engine Cluster and is there a good
>>> explanation how to do that?
>>
>> What do you mean by "make use of" ? Do you want to have a workflow be
>> run on a node in the cluster or to have individual steps within a
>> workflow run be executed on nodes in the cluster?
>
> I think both.
> The most important need for me seems to be to have the ability that
> individual steps within a workflow run on our SGE cluster transparently
> for the user which uses the workflow. So those workflow steps should be
> executed on nodes of the SGE cluster, the whole handshake for the usage
> of those steps should be done by the Taverna system itself.

What is the normal interface for "talking" to the SGE?

A quick way to try things would be use the tool service to run qsub (and
related) commands to your SGE. Then you could group the choreography of
submit -> poll * -> retrieve results, into a component.

Alternatively, if there is a Java library, you could write an equivalent
Beanshell.

> Regards,
> Johann

Alan