taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Taverna Server 3.1.0-incubating RC2?
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2018 22:57:23 GMT
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 17:33:12 +0000, Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org> wrote:
> I don't know the dependency flow from module L&N to artifact works.

As far as I understand it's Maven magic from the super-POM of Apache:

http://central.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/apache/18/apache-18.pom
aka
https://github.com/apache/maven-pom/blob/apache-18/pom.xml#L296

which invokes maven-remote-resources-plugin
using a Velocity template from apache-jar-resource-bundle
https://github.com/apache/maven-resources/tree/trunk/apache-jar-resource-bundle/src/main/resources/META-INF

For instance in NOTICE.vm the ## comments are removed by Velocity
template engine, and then properties like
${projectTimespan} are filled in from the effective pom.xml of each
submodule - ending up in target/classes/META-INF

(Note: Apache Commons' super-pom do NOT do this for multimodule builds)

> > We agreed earlier that the "Portions of this software were originally
> > based on... - Copyright 2010-2014 University of Manchester" bit is
> > more of a courtesy and not something legally required by the software
> > grant.
>
> Yes.
>
> While not necessary, when such a large part is granted, it is useful in
> License.  There can't be that many large ones - it can't go over 100%!

OK, so let's leave the autogenerated META-INF L/N as they are - but do
shout out folks if you find any module where the autogenerated would be
incomplete.

tl;dr:

If the root NOTICE or LICENSE says "taverna-foo-module includes baz",
then also override the META-INF templates by making sure
taverna-foo-module/src/main/resources/META-INF/ contain equivalent
NOTICE and/or LICENSE files to same effect.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718