taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Server License status
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2018 15:45:14 GMT
Found Donal's old license analysis, which provided nice links.  (See
quoted email below)

Ian already looked at the W3C Software License which is straight forward as
we've done that already in Taverna Language, and persistence.xsd I found we can
remove. SO that leaves "ur.xsd" for the OGF Usage Records.

http://schemas.ogf.org/urf/2003/09/ contains the schema
for the namespace http://schema.ogf.org/urf/2003/09/urf
(although for some reason with a filename typo of "url.xml" rather than
"urf.xml") - so I used this. I didn't find any differences beyond
indentation from what we had as "ur.xsd" in git - it's still corresponding to
GFD.98 rather than GFD.204 though.

However its license *) is not permitting changes to "The Document" (aka
the XSD?) which means including this file directly in git would not be
open source, and also would violate
https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#no-modification

It would in theory be acceptable to use these by download only, but that
means we have to rely on the typo-ed
http://schemas.ogf.org/urf/2003/09/url.xml to keep working whenever
someone builds taverna-server.

As "derivative works that assist in its implementation" are permitted "without
restriction of any kind" my proposal is simply to include the XJC-generated
JAXB beans as Java source code.

See https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-server/tree/master/taverna-server-usagerecord/src/main/java/org/apache/taverna/server/usagerecord/xml/urf

That means our NOTICE can then be like this:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-server/blob/master/taverna-server-usagerecord/src/main/resources/META-INF/NOTICE#L12

Later copyright notices as in GFD.204 uses better phrasing like "The published
OGF document from which such works are derived" - which would avoid confusion
from "This document".  Not sure why GFD.204's XSD is not on the web, but I
guess we could also try to copy that out from the PDF.

*)
      Usage Record Working Group XML Schema definition (GFD.98)

      Copyright (C) Open Grid Forum (2006-2007). All Rights Reserved.

      This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
      others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it or
      assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published and
      distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any kind,
      provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are included
      on all such copies and derivative works. However, this document itself
      may not be modified in any way, such as by removing the copyright notice
      or references to the OGF or other organizations, except as needed for
      the purpose of developing Grid Recommendations in which case the
      procedures for copyrights defined in the OGF Document process must be
      followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
      English.

      The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
      revoked by the OGF or its successors or assignees.

      This document and the information contained herein is provided on an "As
      Is" basis and the OGF disclaims all warranties, express or implied,
      including but not limited to any warranty that the use of the
      information herein will not infringe any rights or any implied
      warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.