taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Podling Report Reminder - December 2017
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2017 11:13:33 GMT
On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 09:53:27 +0000, Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Taverna,
>
> In Dec 2016, the report said "Preparing to graduate." In 2017, the dev@
> list has been quiet. The last release was in 2016.
>
> While the PPMC is large, not everyone has been active in incubation.  I
> am worried that pushing through graduation will only result in the same
> situation as a TLP.
>
> As a community, consider what is the best environment for Taverna.

I think Andy makes a fair point. We have become too slow and quiet.

We've been dodging the graduation for too long - and the question
remains - would anything be different after graduation
(except pressure to graduate)?

We might have to consider Retiring as an option. I know.. I know! I had
been hoping it would not come to that, given all the great effort so far
- yet it could be an honest outcome if we are truly no longer able to
progress. It can happen to both podlings and graduated projects; nothing
to worry about.

I would however hope we can do one last try before we resort to that
option.

Our last update in September listed:

 1. Complete the remaining IP review
    (by retiring irrelevant git repositories)
 2. Re-engage PMC to encourage regular activity
 3. Graduate!

These are still true. However I think we need to say "Re-engage" as
first priority to help do the other two. If we can find a working
pattern again we are in better shape to become a top-level PMC.

I said we would try to re-engage the PPMC, but I will be honest and
admit that I have hardly put in any Taverna effort in this period;
and so you have not been re-engaged.

Work, family and life tends to steal priorities - perhaps more than
before - that might be true for others too - yet that is not an excuse
to drop silent.

I think we must be better at admitting what we can and can't do.

Release-wise I think we could easily pull off a few right away;
taverna-mobile and taverna-server are both ready and I think actually
good to get through the Incubator PMC.

I think Ian and Sagar have been making great progress for the
Taverna Mobile release - although it would be good with an update on
what is blocking it at the moment.

Similarly I had a quick look at Taverna Server the other day, and it's
looking quite good and release-ready (beyond a couple of XSD files) -
yet I have avoided finding the time to formulate this in an email -
perhaps because it would mean commiting to future work.

I suggest we move to a more frequent bullet-point emails to keep a small
momentum going, rather than always having these long discussions that
conclude with two months of work that nobody can commit to.

You might have seen some mini-threads like this from me today - fill in
with your own!

Then we should aim to get our graduation done by spring. I suggest
a self-imposed deadline - if by June (2018-06-01) we have not graduated,
then we vote on retiring.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718