taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] The third RC of Taverna Command Line 3.1.0
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2016 16:15:56 GMT
On 10 June 2016 at 02:12, Gale Naylor <GaleN@noventussolutions.com> wrote:
> taverna-engine, taverna-common-activities, and taverna-commandline all build
> successfully on my Windows 10 machine running Maven 3.3.9 and Java 1.8.0_91.

Hurray! Thanks for testing.

> I do not have time to perform a detailed check of the source headers
> for the common-activities or commandline files at this time, or check the
> dependencies. (But Alan has done a GitHub search for copyrights and the
> files are clean.)

That's OK,
mvn apache-rat:check and the copyright-grep should hopefully be sufficient.

> These warnings in Activity archetype seem to be the most serious:
>
> [INFO] [WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the
> effective model for com.example:dummy-taverna-plugin:pom:0.1.0-SNAPSHOT

> Can we release with these warnings?

I hope so, they don't mean much as it's just from testing that the
Maven archetype can generate a dummy-taverna-plugin Maven plugin and
compile that.

The generated plugin has a minimal pom.xml on purpose - although it
would be nice to remove the warnings it would mean adding 4-5
<plugins> to lock down the versions of the standard Maven plugins -
although good practice in general, I think that could be distracting
from how to make a Taverna plugin.

(I regret now adding the testing of the archetype :) )

> ---------------------------------------
> Warnings (other than Javadoc warnings):
> ---------------------------------------
>   taverna-engine
>     - Workflow Model impl - private reference
>     - Reference Manager impl - unused package warning
>     - Activity archetype: missing plug-in warnings, empty jar warning,
>       and unresolved package dependency warnings
>
>   taverna-common-activities
>     - Common Activities: empty jar warning
>
>   taverna-commandline
>     - Command-line tool: empty jar warning
>     - Command-line tool Product: missing POMs

Shall we raise Jira issues for these individually? I don't see that
these are preventing the build from working, and although it's nice to
not have any warnings during a build, I think that might be a bit
ambitious considering our current effort.. :)

> Detailed summary (including Javadoc warnings)

I hope you don't feel this should block this particular release :-) -
but  I think we should raise these in Jira and try to fix them for the
next version, particularly for any of the API packages the Javadoc
should not give warnings, e.g. broken links.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718