taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Podling Report Reminder - June 2016
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2016 11:34:51 GMT
On 1 June 2016 at 09:36, Andy Seaborne <andy@seaborne.org> wrote:

>>   1. Project maturity evaluation>
> What about adding "getting all the code out" and "growing the community".

I was think we discussed earlier that once we have released of the
"big one" with Taverna Command-line tool (currently under vote) then
we can look at graduating. Chris Mattman also said that he didn't see
why we couldn't graduate.

While it would be nice to have all our repos released, we should keep
in mind that some of them are more experimental and still requires
development work to get the code in a releasable state. Much of this
has to do with managing Maven configurations, which many developers
are less comfortable with.

If we are going to get all of them out then I can imagine it could
easily take us another year in the incubator - yet I would argue we
are already grown strongly into the "Apache Way", and have learnt how
to manage issues such as Intellecual Property, licensing, security and
releasing, and I believe we should be in a fit state to manage
releases of the remaining repos ourselves. *)

*)  Two special ones it perhaps would be good to get our hands dirty
with is the Taverna Mobile and Taverna DataBundle Viewer, as they are
Android and Ruby projects they are quite different in how we release
things and would need their own release procedures.

As for "growing the community" it would be good to have more
committers - once the command line tool is out it should be easier to
engage newcomers and "devops" users still at 2.x.

However we have already voted in a PPMC member, and have seen good
engagement with students. We have not seen much contributions from
users who report bugs, so I agree that here we need to do more to
engage and encourage. I hope that our effort with the build and
releasing has improved the main code to be more in "hackable" state.

I added:

  2. Releasing main code base (RC under vote)
  3. Engaging user/devops community

>> Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be>
>> aware of?>
> It is worth mentioning the situation with regard to mentors.

Good point - added.

>>   Many registrations on https://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ are>
>>   outdated (e.g. graduated podlings and 404 source repos),>
>>   these need to be updated by each PMC - see>
>>   https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/Z6a17eutravbs96>
> Not the focus for the Taverna report.

Well, it's been mentioned on legal-discuss, without much more
happening (except in Commons). But I'll remove that paragraph.

> I think that GSoC needs to be separate from work to get Taverna to graduate.
> GSoC is good but not a hard dependency for graduation.

OK, I'll shrink the GSOC section.

>> Shepherd/Mentor notes:>
> There is still a lack of active mentors.

Added.

Thanks, Andy!

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes