taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Brack <paul.br...@manchester.ac.uk>
Subject Taverna hashes
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2016 12:37:27 GMT
Hi guys,

I've been building Taverna workflows for a while now, and there's a piece of functionality
that would be really helpful - hashes as a data type on input/output ports, and an option
on string merges.

We have built a generic tool to submit a job to a HPC (Hydra) and monitor its status. This
job can be anything, so we pass in two lists (one of keys, one of values) so we can do variable
substitution in a script further down the line. To produce a list of values, we can just do
a merge, but I have to hardcode the key list in a beanscript. This is not very nice and prone
to human error.

I don't know the overall implications of this, but if I could do a merge that preserved the
variable names, and paired these with the values, then pass these through to the input port
of a subworkflow, this would be very useful indeed. We are trying to avoid serialising the
data into JSON/XML or similar.

Is this possible? Is this significant development effort?

Best Regards,
Paul Brack