taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Williams <alanin...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Finalize Docker Invoke JSON format
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2016 08:33:47 GMT
On 04-Jun-16 05:10, Nadeesh Dilanga wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am starting this thread to discuss and finalize the docker commands we
> need to expose for client side(Taverna).
>
> Latest stable docker remote API is version 1.23[1]. And it has several APIs
> that can be useful.

Yes. Where do you intend to run the docker containers? That would be
similar to how you can specify where to run tool services - although I
dislike how that is done.

> The original JIRA [2] mentioned about the JSON format to a docker run. I
> hope it meant about the docker config.json ?

That would be a lot of configuration. I am not sure that it is sensible
to have it all specified in the workflow.

> Because, given we use remote APIs, I would like to know what are the
> expectations are ?
>
> 1. Do we assume that Images are created and published to the registry.

Yes, certainly for running you will know the registry and the image.

> 2. Do we assume that docker container is created

I don't think you can, as that would mean there are steps needed to be
done before the workflow can be run.

> Given #1 and #2 done, then we are talking about starting the
> container(~docker run). If that is the case, when we use remote APIs we
> only need following, and no need of a JSON:
>
> Request: POST /containers/(id or name)/start
> Response: HTTP/1.1 204 No Content
>
> There are other responses too:
>
> Status Codes:
>
>    - *204* – no error
>    - *304* – container already started
>    - *404* – no such container
>    - *500* – server error

You will need to look at how the input data is read and the results
returned. It is not sufficient to just start the container if it expects
input data to be sent to stdin, or to be in specific locations.

> [1] - https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/api/docker_remote_api_v1.23/

Alan