taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Possible changes to groupId, etc?
Date Mon, 16 May 2016 10:11:04 GMT
On 15 May 2016 at 23:25, Gale Naylor <GaleN@noventussolutions.com> wrote:
> See comments/questions below.
> -----------------------
> (1) Regarding
>> -->  groupId  org.apache.taverna.common.activities
> being a misleading hierarchy: If I understand what Stian said, the issue is
> that *taverna-language* exists on its own and *taverna-engine* exists on
> its own, but there is no separate entity called "taverna-common" --- OK.
> Makes sense.
>
> Do we then want to change the repo names to match the groupIds?
> Change:
>      incubator-taverna-common-activities to
> incubator-taverna-commonactivities?
> and
>      incubator-taverna-workbench-common-activities to
> incubator-taverna-workbench-commonactivities?

0 - I'm OK with either, but would prefer *-common-activities as it is
easier to read.

If we do the rename, then I think we should do it now before preparing
the engine/activities/commandline RC.

> (2) On a related note: I'm sure there's a reason, but I'm curious why
> taverna-common-activities is not called taverna-engine-common-activities
> based on the git source description: "Common activity implementation for
> engine (e.g. WSDL, REST, Tool, Interaction)"?

I think the only reason is that it's a bit long :)

But then again incubator-taverna-workbench-common-activities is also
long.. taverna-engine-common-activities would show a bit clearer the
duality.

And it's right that (except for wsdl-generic) they don't make sense
outside the engine, and are effectively plugins for the engine.

BTW - you could in theory drop the word "common" from both - but that
would imply that those are all the activities - but we have several
others just in our own plugins.

(We used to have a misleadingly called "all-activities"
meta-dependency in 2.5 - it did pull in most of the official
activities, but not all of them!)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718