taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving towards graduation from incubator?
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2016 09:51:26 GMT
> On the http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/March2016 report, our Chris
> Mattmann added:
>
>    Chris: I have to retire as a Taverna mentor. That said - what's stopping
> Taverna from being ready to graduate? If it's just mentor activity then consider
> graduating. The community looks active, looks like it's releasing, looks like
> involved in GSoC, etc.

Things are certainly looking good.

> We said that what's missing before graduating from the Apache
> Incubator to a Top Level Project is:
>
>    1. Community growth
>    2. Release more of the imported code to create engagement
>    3. Move to a sustainable development pattern
>

> But how are we doing with those?
>
> 1. Community
>
> We should engage actively with the interested GSOC students and other newcomers.
>
> We should try to find ways to reengage the existing contributors and
> people joining the discussions - perhaps too much license and release
> focus prevents other discussions.
>

> In the project I am partaking, http://bioexcel.eu/, I will be working
> on combining Open PHACTS with Taverna, building reusable components
> (hopefully in Common Worflow Language). This is a good way to grow the
> (user) community for Taverna into pharmacology - but how can we engage
> new developers here?
>

> 2) Release more of the imported code
>
> I think this was raised by Andy, which I think is important. We didn't
> join Apache to release an API to design workflows - but to get at
> least the Taverna command line out for running workflows, and then
> also the Taverna server and possibly the Taverna Workbench.  Shall we
> say that we need to at least get the command line out before we
> consider ourselves graduation ready?
>

> There are also potential IP challenges here in the remaining
> repositories - having a release forces us to check we have sorted the
> dependencies, NOTICE files etc - as we saw highlighted just this week!

By the time of graduation, all the code should be sorted out.

I don't think there is an official rule but my assumption has been that
the vast majority of code should have gone through one podling release
as the default way to check that.

> So personally, as soon as the taverna-language and taverna-osgi is
> out, I will spend Taverna time on getting the engine and command line
> release ready - GSOC mentoring permitting of course.
>

> We should review what is missing before we can release Taverna Mobile
> and Taverna Bundle Viewer - Larry has already given a good list for
> Mobile.
>
> They are both are a bit different being Android and Ruby and Rails
> projects, so it will be a tiny challenge to the release process - on
> the other side they are independent of the other release cycles.  Also
> we then get to figure out how to get Apache software into Google Play
> ... :)
>

> 3) Move to a more sustainable development pattern
>
> I'm not sure how we can measure this.. but I guess it depends on how
> we use Jira, who is contributing code, etc. I don't know how you feel
> this is working at the moment - I know that using Jira generates a lot
> of email traffic - but is mainly considered spam, or is it also
> helping people getting an idea on where they can contribute and on
> what is going on?

Not unique to Taverna!

The other aspect of a sustainable development pattern is recognizing the
several months last year when activity here was minimal.

Yes - finding time can be hard.

     Andy