taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Functionality in next release?
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2016 11:23:00 GMT
Right - we will need proper release notes, won't we. Let's see..
(sorry, this is not formatted as release notes)

The taverna-language release would be an update that fixes some bugs
(TAVERNA-874) and adds the tavlang command line, which we should say
was contributed by Menaka Madushanka, sponsored by Google Summer of
Code 2015. Mentors - would that be appropriate attribution?

The release of taverna-osgi, taverna-engine, taverna-common-activities
and taverna-commandline would give you a Taverna 3.1.0 command line -
which functionally is a follow-up from an earlier alpha-release before
we went to Apache - see
http://www.taverna.org.uk/developers/work-in-progress/taverna-3/ -- so
in principle it is the same functionality, but now released by Apache,
with a new license.

Package names have changed to org.apache.taverna.* and the OSGi
support has been stabilized. Source code has been reorganized - see
http://taverna.incubator.apache.org/code/

One new functionality of the taverna-commandline is the ability to
save the workflow run provenance as a workflow run bundle - see
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine/tree/master/taverna-prov#structure-of-exported-provenance
(TODO: Move this doc to the website)

The new release would add Dmitris improved WSDL support using Apache
Woden - Dmitri, is this change also giving WSDL2 support? What are the
improvements here?

I think it is fair to mention the functionality that is
disabled/missing compared to earlier, I think these activities are NO
LONGER supported (they were part of 3.0.a2)

RShell
Soaplab
Biomart

They are now maintained (??) separately as part of the
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-plugin-bioinformatics/
and https://github.com/taverna-extras/

(I just moved RShell activity to taverna-extras and updated it, it
seems we had forgotten it on https://github.com/taverna/ !)

These plugins *ARE* included in the 3.1.0 release:

Beanshell scripts
External Tool
Interaction service
REST service
Spreadsheet
XML splitters
WSDL services
XPath

(Which Alan is looking at workflows to test them all)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718