taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSOC: Add CWL support to Taverna
Date Sun, 28 Feb 2016 02:00:26 GMT
Hi, thanks for showing early interest!

Perhaps you would like to tell us a bit about yourself and your background?
Are you studying Computer Science?

First of all you probably want to have a quick look at the Getting Started
documentation for Taverna, and try the Taverna Workbench Core 2.5 download.
There should be a tutorial for building a hello world workflow somewhere,
I'll see if I can find it.

Basically what this task you mention is about is to add support for finding
CWL tools under the top-left Available Services panel, so they can be
dragged into the workflow.

The remaining tasks deal with how to execute such CWL tools, and how to
represent a Taverna workflow in CWL (or vice versa)

The Jira issue gives an introduction and various links to related material.

As for the Workbench integration we have already this plugin developer
tutorial:

http://dev.mygrid.org.uk/wiki/display/developer/Tutorial+-+Service+discovery+plugin

Unfortunately this tutorial relates to Taverna 2, while now we develop
Taverna 3. Naturally we would hope for your potential contribution to apply
to Taverna 3, which has a slightly different mechanism for Taverna Activity
configuration (JSON object instead of a Java Bean).

We have not yet released the Taverna 3 Workbench, so testing your work
might require other modifications to the T3 Workbench code to get it
running. We would appreciate any general fixes there (e.g. if we have the
wrong import statements after moving to org apache.taverna) - but it could
be sufficient for you to track such issues and discuss them on our mailing
list

However for your discovery side I think it should be fine for you to start
work in Taverna 2 and with a dummy Activity that just keeps a Jackson JSON
object, and then adapting your code to Taverna 3 would be a nice second
phase.

As for discovery side this is still early days in the CWL community, so you
want to engage them to ask what are the plans for a tool registry. I know
they are working with the http://bio.tools/ guys, but I am not sure how
easy it is to add CWL Tool YAML/JSON directly there (or by reference).

As far as I've seen CWL used, each tool is typically stored in a separate
YAML file. Perhaps a good start is to just "discover" within a fixed or
configured directory which we can populate manually with from CWLs Github
examples.

The Service Discovery mechanism in Taverna can do searches over fields, so
an add-on task could be to expose some of the metadata that could be in the
tool description, e.g. function:sequencing. However I think again metadata
work in CWL is early days and you might need to work with the CWL community
to get good examples.