taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject NOTICE File for the Taverna Language Commandline JAR
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2015 23:47:07 GMT
On 20 August 2015 at 00:12, Menaka Madushanka <menaka12350@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I checked the auto generated one. But it only contains the Apache
> Copyright information. How could I add the license info about the airline
> library? Is there any way to add those info to the auto generated file?

(This is about the NOTICE file for the maven-shade-plugin-generated
self-contained JAR of the Taverna Language Commandline, which include
third-party dependencies like the io.airline library and also Apache's
own Jena.)

See http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html for general guidance.

This will be a "bundling" case.

I have tried to extend the auto-generated NOTICE, and although it is
possible by making your own `NOTICE.vm` velocity template based on -
there was not much point beyond the auto-update of the copyright year
- so I would just do it by hand, e.g.

src/main/resources/META-INF/NOTICE containing:

Apache Taverna Language Commandline
Copyright 2015 The Apache Software Foundation

------------

This product includes FooLibrary:
XXX (whatever they say in their NOTICE)

------------

The airline library do have NOTICE at
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/airlift/airline/master/notice.md

.. but I am not sure if this would be required to propagate according
to the Apache License when we just unpack
http://central.maven.org/maven2/io/airlift/airline/0.7/airline-0.7.jar
which seems to NOT include any NOTICE. (this is why we DO include
META-INF/NOTICE in all Apache JARs).

So I would just go through the JARs of the dependencies and see which
of them contains NOTICE - those are the ones we are legally required
to propagate.

modifying the maven-shade-plugin to use this setting seems to work:
https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-shade-plugin/examples/resource-transformers.html#ApacheNoticeResourceTransformer

.. although the output is a quite messy, unordered NOTICE file:

https://paste.apache.org/2gcw

we could use this as a starting point and just move it around and make
sure the Taverna NOTICE is at the top.

According to http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html

> Bundling Other ASF Products

> It is not necessary to duplicate the line "This product includes software developed at
the Apache Software Foundation...", though the ASF copyright line and any other portions of
NOTICE must be considered for propagation.

We would have to do a similar thing for LICENSE to find things that
are not Apache License. Airline is already Apache license, thus we
don't need to modify LICENSE for that.

That ApacheLicenseResourceTransformer setting adds a license/ folder
to the JAR which might or might not be sufficient.. I think it looks a
bit spare. Perhaps it's good to check with the generated
META-INF/DEPENDENCIES and copy over?

https://paste.apache.org/2f76

For reference, this is the output of maven-shade-plugin

https://paste.apache.org/kMwF

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718