taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed RO bundle validator
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2015 10:44:39 GMT
(as I said in a separate email)

I think a new org.apache.taverna.robundle.validator package within the
taverna-robundle module should be best - as long as you don't need
any/much new dependencies.

In my mind, these are the reasons for when you would want to separate
out a new Maven module in Taverna:

a) To avoid adding a bunch of dependencies for downstream users --
e.g. if many downstream modules/projects (third-party and internally)
would use robundle, but not robundle-validator, but the validator
additionally needs dependency A,B, C & D

a2)  If downstream users always (directly or indirectly) will need
A,B,C & D anyway, then this rule does not apply

b) To separate API interfaces and implementations for OSGi-based
modules (but we have not done so for RO Bundle to keep it simple)

c) When needed to avoid circular spaghetti dependencies (e.g. to avoid
taverna-robundle depending on taverna-scufl2-api depending on
taverna-robundle)

d) Different pace of release and versioning (but we try to keep that
at git repository level to have simpler tagging and release process)

Separation of concern should not be a reason alone - Java packages
give you that - obviously within reason - putting a package in the
"wrong" module/repository make it hard to find.

Your views might differ! Let us know!

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718