taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Taverna Language 0.15.0-incubating RC2
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2015 15:50:39 GMT
Well, this is my take on "release early, release often" (although it
is not early. Taverna Language is ready to be released, as we have
already discussed several times on this list. It's a foundation for
the rest of Taverna 3.  There would probably be more releases of
Taverna Language later in summer/autumn, particularly to include the
Command Line tool from GSOC.

Going through, and as far as I can tell, none of the notices listed
require their license text to be implicitly bundled or mentioned in
such LICENSE. The  individual 'foreign' files have corresponding
copyright headers - see rat excludes in pom.xml

The W3C license have:

> The materials contained in the Site may be downloaded or copied provided that ALL copies
retain the copyright and any other proprietary notices contained on the materials. No material
may be modified, edited or taken out of context such that its use creates a false or misleading
statement or impression as to the positions, statements or actions of W3C.

The only modifications to W3C files have been to *add* their copyright
headers where it was just implicit from their parent specification,
e.g. compare http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd (in the http tar-pit) and
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-language/blob/master/taverna-scufl2-schemas/src/main/resources/org/apache/taverna/scufl2/rdfxml/xsd/xml.xsd

The CC licensed stuff basically says:

> Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and
indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way
that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

which an entry in NOTICE should suffice, but additionally here as well
I added copyright headers if it was missing.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/legalcode says:

> You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of
warranties with every copy of the Work You Distribute or Publicly Perform. When You Distribute
or Publicly Perform the Work, You may not impose any effective technological measures on the
Work that restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to exercise the rights
granted to that recipient under the terms of the License. This Section 4(a) applies to the
Work as incorporated in a Collection, but this does not require the Collection apart from
the Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License.

Here the Collection is the taverna-language source zip.

The DISCLAIMER is auto-generated by

<resourceBundle>org.apache:apache-incubator-disclaimer-resource-bundle:1.1</resourceBundle>

the template picks up the <name> from pom.xml
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-maven-parent/blob/master/pom.xml#L278

Presumably the problem here is that we have multiple top-level
projects. So should all the projects have the same DISCLAIMER with
just "Apache Taverna is an effort .." instead?

DEPENDENCIES is also auto-generated by apache-jar-resource-bundle.

There is one per submodule.. the top level project does not have any
directly <dependencies> and hence it is empty.

See for instance
taverna-language-0.15.0-incubating/taverna-robundle/target/classes/META-INF/DEPENDENCIES
after building.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718