taverna-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSOC 2015 - Taverna: Language command line tool
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 14:53:01 GMT
Hi!

Thanks for showing interest in our project proposal.

I think the idea for the Taverna Language Command Line tool was for it
to be separate from the existing Execute Workflow command line tool
(the one you have looked at) - although it would be interesting to
also consider the new functionality to be part of the command line
tool distribution (e.g. as a separate launcher).

The Taverna Language module is meant to also be used independently
outside Taverna, and therefore has no dependencies on the rest of
Taverna. As such it is relatively easier to package and build, and
also it does not require the use of the OSGi plugin system that the
executeworkflow includes.

If you are looking at taverna-comandline for how we did command line
options there - be aware that it includes a bit of trickery to work
around OSGi threads and classloaders in passing in the command line
arguments through the plugin system -- this should not be needed in
the proposed Taverna Language command line as it would run with the
regular classloader (either with a lib/*.jar collection or as a single
executable jar.

Note The executeworkflow program might still be slightly in a flux as
we have been changing some of the dependencies recently, so it has not
yet stabilized after move to Apache.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Taverna (incubating)