tapestry-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Rosemann <alexander.rosem...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: T5.2.5 - loop, zones and a save button
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:25:01 GMT
Thanks for the info, Taha. Moving the zone out of the loop would allow
to properly process the textarea values but prevent the textareas from
being updated by the action links... A semi-ideal solution.

Is this something that is intentionally not supported by Tapestry for a
reason?

Regards,
Alex

On 27.06.2011 14:46, Taha Hafeez wrote:
> Hi Alex
>
> It took me quite a while to debug and this is my understanding.
>
> The loop uses a hidden field to store the 'value' parameter in the
> form(using the encoder for converting it to a string) and later
> retrieves the value before setting value of bound variables. The
> hidden field also contains the name of the field to be processed this
> way. An ajax request causes reload of the textarea which in turn
> causes the name and id to change and so the loop is not able to find
> this field and its bound variable is set after all the encoders have
> been called
>
> Someone may explain it better
>
> A less than ideal solution may be to get the zone out of the loop
>
> regards
> Taha
>

>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Alexander Rosemann<alexander.rosemann@gmail.com>
 wrote:

>>> Removing the zone surrounding the textarea fixes the save issue but of course
breaks the update functionality.

>>> This is the code:
>>>
>>> public class LoopWithZoneIssue {
>>>
>>>     private final Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(Feedback.class);
>>>     @Inject
>>>     private Request request;
>>>     @Property
>>>     private String currentLink;
>>>     @Property
>>>     private String currentCriteria;
>>>     @Property
>>>     private int linkIndex;
>>>     @Property
>>>     private int criteriaIndex;
>>>     @InjectComponent
>>>     @Property
>>>     private Zone textareaZone;
>>>     @Persist
>>>     private Map<String, String>  criteria;
>>>     @Persist
>>>     private Map<String, String>  links;
>>>     private String ajaxLink;
>>>     private String ajaxCriteria;
>>>
>>>     void onActivate() {
>>>         if (criteria == null) {
>>>             criteria = new HashMap<String, String>();
>>>             criteria.put("Research", "Systematic identification and investigation
of appropriate sources");
>>>             criteria.put("Communication and Presentation", "Clarity of purpose;
skills in the selected media; "
>>>                 + "awareness and adoption of appropriate conventions; sensitivity
to the needs of the audience");
>>>             criteria.put("Analysis", "Examination and interpretation of resources");
>>>             criteria.put("Personal and professional development", "Management
of learning through reflection,  "
>>>                 + "planning,  self direction,  subject engagement and commitment");
>>>         }
>>>         if (links == null) {
>>>             links = new HashMap<String, String>();
>>>             links.put("A", "Default value for A");
>>>             links.put("B", "Default value for B");
>>>             links.put("C", "Default value for C");
>>>             links.put("D", "Default value for D");
>>>             links.put("E", "Default value for E");
>>>         }
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     public void onSelectedFromSaveFeedback() {
>>>         logger.debug("Saving feedback form");
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     public Object onActionFromLink(String linkId, String criteriaId) {
>>>         ajaxLink = links.get(linkId);
>>>         ajaxCriteria = criteria.get(criteriaId);
>>>         return textareaZone.getBody();
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     public String getUniqueZoneId() {
>>>         return "uniqueZoneId_" + criteriaIndex;
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     public Collection<String>  getCriteria() {
>>>         return criteria.keySet();
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     public Collection<String>  getLinks() {
>>>         return links.keySet();
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     public ValueEncoder<String>  getCriteriaEncoder() {
>>>         return new ValueEncoder<String>() {
>>>
>>>             public String toValue(String value) {
>>>                 for (String key : criteria.keySet()) {
>>>                     if (criteria.get(key).equals(value))
>>>                         return key;
>>>                 }
>>>                 return "unknown";
>>>             }
>>>
>>>             public String toClient(String key) {
>>>                 String value = criteria.get(key);
>>>                 return value;
>>>             }
>>>         };
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     public String getTextareaValue() {
>>>         logger.debug("called getTextareaValue");
>>>         if (request.isXHR()) {
>>>             return ajaxLink;
>>>         }
>>>         else {
>>>             return criteria.get(currentCriteria);
>>>         }
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     public void setTextareaValue(String textareaValue) {
>>>         logger.debug("called setTextareaValue '{}' for criteria '{}'", textareaValue,
currentCriteria);
>>>         criteria.put(currentCriteria, textareaValue);
>>>     }
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> And the tml:
>>>
>>> <t:form>
>>>   <t:loop t:id="criteria" value="currentCriteria" source="criteria"
>>>   encoder="criteriaEncoder" index="criteriaIndex">
>>>     <h3>${currentCriteria}</h3>
>>>     <t:loop t:id="links" value="currentLink"
>>>     source="links" index="linkIndex">
>>>       <t:actionlink t:id="link" zone="prop:uniqueZoneId"
>>>       context="[currentLink,currentCriteria]">${currentLink}
>>>       </t:actionlink>
>>>     </t:loop>
>>>     <t:zone t:id="textareaZone" id="prop:uniqueZoneId">
> [...]
id and is updated by a set of actionlinks that I have omitted in my previous example. This
is the full one:

altered by the user and finally saved.

information that Taha forwarded me.

is wrapped by a zone. Outside the loop is a submit button to save the form. No matter whether
I set the submit defer attribute to false or true, my code only persists the information of
the last texarea in the loop.

called n times before the setter of the currentCriteria field gets called n times. Removing
the zone brings back the normal behaviour of calling first the encoder and second, the setter
of the corresponding field.