tapestry-users mailing list archives

From Rich M <rich...@moremagic.com>
Subject Re: Capturing action, event, form requests
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 17:55:52 GMT
On 03/01/2011 11:26 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 13:03:34 -0300, Rich M <richard@moremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
> Hi!
>
>> I currently have a Dispatcher implementation to handle page and asset
>> requests in order to process authentication and security logic as
>> necessary. However, it appears to me that (at least in 5.1) the
>> Dispatcher does not intercept any ActionLinks, EventLinks, form
>> events, or otherwise related client-side triggers that are not page
>> requests.
>
> These scenarios should be handled by implementing one of the Tapestry
> filter pipelines.
> Dispatchers are supposed to return content after handling a request.

Oh, I see. Perhaps then it's reasonable to say I was mislead by this
Tapestry wiki page
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5HowToCreateADispatcher ? This
is pretty much exactly what I adapted to my application half a year ago,
'AccessController' name and all.
>> Is there a service or service interface to implement that would
>> provide an opportunity to step in and intercept these requests before
>> a page/component catches them?
>
> Implement a ComponentRequestFilter and contribute it to the
> ComponentRequestHandler service.

Thanks, I'll look into that. Going back and looking at that wiki page
though I realized that it was ordering the AccessController with
before:PageRender, I switched it to before:RootPath and it seems to now
capture the events I was talking about and solved a related problem I had.

I am in fact using the Dispatcher to redirect to a login page with an
expired context, I suppose I'm not entirely clear yet between the Wiki
and my working implementation why Dispatcher isn't appropriate. Perhaps
its a case of, 'it will work, but that's not what it was meant for'? Or
are there some nuances to the ComponentRequestHandler pipeline that make
it a more robust authentication point?

Thanks,
Rich