tapestry-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Jim O'Callaghan" <jc1000...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: [OT] encoding of properties files
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 20:34:17 GMT
2nd try to get through spam filter...

Perhaps the text editor you are using for editing your property files and templates is not
character code aware, for instance old versions of Notepad.  If you are using Eclipse for
editing these files it may be set to auto-detect the character encoding, and if one of the
previous developers is using a clashing editor / character encoding, the meta tag in your
property files and templates will be directing the browser to decode the characters using
a character set that is different to the one actually used to save the content. You can check
if the browser rendered content is actually ISO-8859-1 by changing the Firefox setting to
the required encoding (View → Character Encoding → Western (ISO-8859-1)) instead of Auto-detect,
to see if the relevant characters come out ok, if not, then I would check the editor you are
using to edit the files (including history of check-ins by other developers) and make sure
it is setting the encoding correctly.  Another area that may be relevant is if you have contributed
a Servlet Filter, and in its service method you have used setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") or
some other invalid encoding.  I use UTF-8 project-wide, ensure my editors are character code
aware, and have no problem with special characters.  I have previously encountered similar
errors where non-developers were given access to files to maintain error messages / properties
using older versions of Notepad.

Regards,
Jim.

From: Ivano Luberti [mailto:luberti@archicoop.it] 
Sent: 04 March 2011 14:53
To: Tapestry users
Subject: [OT] encoding of properties files

Hello I have a question I believe is not strictly Tapestry related.

I'm developing a web site using T 4.1.6
My dev environment is Eclipse 3.5 + Tomcat 5.5  on Windows Vista where
everything works fine (I know I know...).
Instead when I deploy the website on another machine,  characters loaded
from properties files  that have accents are not showed correctly.
I see question marks in place of the characters when I use Firefox and
squares in IE 8.

I have used ISO-8859-1 for properties files and for html templates:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">


Can someone point me in the correct direction to solve this problem?





--
==================================================
dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Archimede Informatica societa' cooperativa a r. l.
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it
==================================================


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tapestry.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tapestry.apache.org
________________________________________
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 10.0.1204 / Virus Database: 1435/3480 - Release Date: 03/03/11


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tapestry.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tapestry.apache.org


Mime
View raw message