tapestry-users mailing list archives

From "Russell Brown" <Russell.Br...@ioko.com>
Subject RE: T5: Clicking on actionLonk with a zone parameter before page loads
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 15:05:51 GMT
Hi Peter,
Thanks for that. To try it I guess I have to upgrade to 5.0.17 ?

Cheers

Russell
-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Stavrinides [mailto:P.Stavrinides@albourne.com]
Sent: 08 December 2008 15:01
To: Tapestry users
Subject: Re: T5: Clicking on actionLonk with a zone parameter before page loads

Ironic that you are pointed to yahoo for a solution when the advice they advocated to the
community is to load scripts after markup, all for the false hope of a performance increase,
which is ultimately incorrect and is creating these types of problems... your markup (hence
actionlinks etc) should never be allowed to render until the scripts have loaded and the DOM
is available.

See http://www.quirksmode.org/js/placejs.html at the bottom of the page:

Quote: "Placing scripts in the <head> makes sure that any functions are loaded before
the buttons, links or other things that call them are loaded. If you put your scripts at the
very end of a page, it is possible that a user already sees part of the page including a button
with a JavaScript function call, while the rest of the page hasn't loaded yet. Result: user
pushes button and gets JavaScript Error Message Alerts, because the browser can't find the
script (yet). Unless there's a good reason to do otherwise, place your scripts in the <head>"

Fortunately this is now configurable in Tapestry.

public static void contributeApplicationDefaults(
			MappedConfiguration<String, String> configuration) {
configuration.add(SymbolConstants.SCRIPTS_AT_TOP, "true");
}

And I bet your problem goes away.
Peter

--
If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender, delete it and
do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute it. Please visit http://www.albourne.com/email.html