tapestry-users mailing list archives

From "LOCHART,DOUGLAS E" <dougloch...@cablespeed.com>
Subject Re: render time element removal question
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:44:55 GMT
Robert,

I am interested in reading this HLS thread.  I did a
search but did not find it.  Could you possibly point me
to the thread (dates, keywords to search etc)

I would appreciate it.

The approach I took was to create a component (based on
the Conditional component) called RequiresRole.  If the
user logged in does not have the role, the menu
option/links etc are not visible.  It works fine for me.
 Maybe I am missing the point in "rendering of pages at
runtime" but my component is JUST LIKE Conditional so I do
see what is the problem.

thanks

Doug

To be honest, personally, I don't think that approach is
really going to
mix well with tapestry.  As was mentioned by HLS in a
recent thread, you
should consider pages at runtime as immutable.  Removing
elements will
prove problematic, I think.
An approach I used was to create a sort of "inRole"
component.  It takes
as parameters either a requisite permission name or an
object for which
permission is required.  It's essentially an "if" wrapper,
but has the
advantage of centralizing the render-oriented permission
logic to a single
component.
You could also create custom wrappers around any
components.  So you
could, for instance, create a "SecureTable" component
which wraps a table
component, adds parameters related to permission checking,
and
conditionally renders the component. Then you could use
your SecureTable
just like table, and still have your dynamic behavior....
static
structure, dynamic behavior.  :)

Robert

>> I'm wondering if anyone has impemented a security model that requires
>> dynamic (render-time) removal of certain HTML elements? And if so, how
>> hefty
>> was the work? I need to remove elements at render time based upon roles
>> and
>> rights and *do not* want to wrap all of the secure elements in
>> conditionals.
>> Rather, I'd wish to determine at render time the necessity of removing
>> certain elements and simply not render them.
>>
>> TIA,
>> -RR-

For additional commands, e-mail:
tapestry-user-help@jakarta.apache.org