tapestry-users mailing list archives

From Colin Sampaleanu <colin...@exis.com>
Subject Re: organising pages
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:16:42 GMT
But unless I'm missing something, this doesn't help resolve the relative
image link issue. If you are in your source, and previewing something,
images will be at a different relative location than when running inside
Tapestry...

Bryan Lewis wrote:

>Sorry to come to the party so late, but I'm unclear on something here.
>
>Why is Option A so bad?   It's only for the deployment layout -- the structure of the
war file -- and that's not designed for human consumption anyway.  Your source tree can be
laid out any old way you please.  Your ant build file does the remapping, of course.

>Typical source tree:
>
>+--src
>   \--intranet
>      +--common
>      +--conf
>      \--view
>         +--home   // each dir contains the html/page/java trilogy
>         +--tabbedmenu
>         \--and so on for every page
>      \--web        // with images, css, .application, static htmls
>

>Deployment image (war):
>
>+--index.html       // static html files in root
>+--META-INF
>\--WEB-INF
>   +--Home.html     // *.page and html templates
>   +--Home.page
>   +--TabbedMenu.html
>   +--TabbedMenu.jwc
>   +--classes
>   |  \--intranet
>   |     +--common
>   |     \--view
>   |        +--home
>   |        |  \--Home.class    // just the classes, ma'am
>   |        \--tabbedmenu
>   |           \--TabbedMenu.class
>   \--web.xml
>
>Now that's only my preference for a source tree.  My little development group has only
programmers, no designers, so we don't care about separating the content.  (I tried to imitate
the jakarta cvs tree, actually.)  But if we wanted to separate the html we could, merely by
modifying the buildfile.  The deployment image wouldn't change at all.

>Yes, I have seen some examples where people made their source layout similar to the deployment
layout, with directory names like META-INF and WEB-INF.  (You ever try typing those names
in a hurry?!?)  I hope that's not the norm.