tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [REPORT] Apache Tapestry
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:56:11 GMT
Thx for your reply.

On Jul 17, 2014, at 12:51 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hlship@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, do you want a report that reflects the reality of the project, or one that parrots
the Apache.org talking points?

> Interestingly, the boilerplate for the monthly report was written by Ulrich Stark ...
i.e., this isn't a case of self-promotion.

> We've had many discussions about why the development of Tapestry is the way it is; it
was always an explicit goal that developers of varying levels of interest and even skill could
contribute meaningfully to Tapestry (that's reflected in the design of the IoC container,
on the component model, with the focus on not needing to understand every detail of Tapestry
to make significant extensions to it). That this has not happened significantly over the lifespan
of the project is frustrating.

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>
> On Jul 15, 2014, at 11:44 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hlship@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > PMC and committer diversity
> >
> >   PMC and committer diversity is good. To our knowledge no two committers share
> >   the same employer. Levels of contribution vary over time with Howard Lewis
> >   Ship being the driving force behind Tapestry's development and various other
> >   committers working on areas of their interest.
> >

> That last sentence, starting with "Levels of contribution..."
> is not appropriate for a board report, with the explicit
> characterization of HLS being a "driving force." This
> sentence will be struck from the report and from the minutes.
>
> It is also useful to recall that the goal of ASF projects is
> to create a collaborative, shared effort, and attempts to
> create "levels" among even peers, which is what committers
> are, are to be discouraged.
>

> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>
> Creator of Apache Tapestry
>
> The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to learn how I can
get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!