tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Kemnade <jochen.kemn...@eddyson.de>
Subject Re: [2/2] git commit: TAP5-2049: Use a lock when reading/updating HttpSession attributes - Add a symbol to deactivate the session locking logic
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:53:43 GMT
Hi,

sorry for bringing up this issue again after so much time but I'm
currently encountering some performance issues related to that change.

Am 18.01.2013 20:47, schrieb Howard Lewis Ship:
> Because attributes in the HttpSession may be mutable, we acquire an
> exclusive write lock when reading attributes.

Right, this is probably the best way to prevent unexpected behavior such
as race conditions.
But, to lessen the effect, couldn't we check if the attribute is
immutable and downgrade the write lock in that case?
I assume the most commonly  @Persist'ed attributes are Strings and
Numbers. While they are not immutable in a strict sense, I think that in
guarding them with a write lock, we're probably overdoing it a bit.

Jochen