tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Lenny Primak <lpri...@hope.nyc.ny.us>
Subject Re: Proposal for a list of modules recommended by the Tapestry team
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 23:37:31 GMT
As much as I hate to say it, just like with the book idea, the Tapestry ecosystem isn't big
enough
to have an 'endorsed by' program or any kind of certification.  Wish it wasn't so but it is.

For example, let's take CDI support.  There are at least 3 implementations, with equal quality
as far as I know.
Who is going to be the judge which one gets the stamp of approval?  PMC?  All committers?
 Users of the list?
Do you think all three should get approval?
Do you think people are actually going to take a look at all the modules, really take a look
at them for quality?
I really don't see this as sustainable long term.

The problem here is more systemic.  There is not enough cooperation in the Tapestry world.
There are not enough active committers.  Even many 3rd party modules are very duplicative
because their owners want 'their' code 'pure' and not 'contaminate / dump' other's people's
perceived 'inferior' code into their projects.

The solution here is more cooperation and less 'certification'

Thiago, as far as your own modules,  I think you are doing great work,
and you should put 'Tapestry Committer and PMC member' with your modules.
(at least I think you are :)
That should carry more than enough weight with people.

On Oct 8, 2013, at 3:09 PM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo wrote:

> Hi!
>
> There's an interesting discussion between me and Pieter in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-64.
The gist of it is that he wants portlets support in Tapestry, there's tapestry5-portlets,
which is written by at least two Tapestry committers, but the consensus here is to not add
more modules to the Tapestry project itself due to the time to support it. His argument, and
I kind of agree with him, is that having tapestry5-portlets in the Tapestry project is a seal
of quality for the portlet support.

> I propose a compromise: in the Tapestry documentation site, a page containing third-party
Tapestry and Tapestry-IoC modules which the Tapestry team recommends due to their proven quality.
For example, tapestry-security is written by Kalle Korhonen, which is both a Tapestry and
Shiro committer. Or tapestry-url-rewriter, written by me and Robert Zeigler and not in Tapestry
itself anymore. For a given module to be listed there, I suggest that we carry a vote just
like we do with new committers. In addition, we could have a page in the Tapestry documentation
with some documentation.