tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo" <thiag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where are all the commits?
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2013 11:43:29 GMT
I invite you to read http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles.
Tapestry is an Apache Foundation project, so we follow the foundation
rules and customs. And one of its core values is meritocracy. I see
committer status, besides other things, as a way of rewarding someone's
contributions for the project, of saying we trust that person to directly
commit code when he/she has some code to contribute.

Contribution to an open source project goes beyond commiting code. It's
also about community, writing in mailing lists, writing documentation,
writing blog posts, evangelization, etc. Bob Harner, for example, made a
huge improvement to one of the historically weak points of Tapestry, which
is documentation. I don't recall seeing him doing any commit (please
correct me if I'm wrong), but I do think he made a huge contribution to
the Tapestry project and I'm very grateful to him.

I think I got invited for committer and PMC status for almost just my
participation in mailing lists. I did just one code contribution, the
initial URL rewriting code that was later improved by Robert Ziegler and
ended up being deprecated and removed later in favor of the Link Rewriter
API (and I'm not complaining, software is supposed to evolve over time).
And I still think I'm contributing to the project.

I'll now answer your questions with my opinions and I'm not representing
the project or any other people with my answers.

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 06:36:34 -0300, Dmitry Gusev <dmitry.gusev@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Still my question remains:
>
> What do you expect from a person when you invite him as a committer to
> Tapestry project?

I expect this person to contribute the project in some way.

> I mean in each specific case.

I don't expect anything specific.

> You just hope that he will do something useful someday with the core
> codebase
> or there is some concrete unit of work that you expect him to do?

First option.

> Or maybe that person asked to be committer and has some specific
> proposals for contribution to the code base?

I don't recall any person asking to be a committer. Since I'm one and
started participating in these discussions, all committers and PMC members
were invited, not a single asking for it.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo