tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-2
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2013 17:29:33 GMT
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de> wrote:

> On 07.01.2013 00:29, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> > Snapshots have their place, but the stability of a preview release has
> its
> > value, despite the hoops Nexus makes you jump through. It says that this
> > particular binary represents a consistent view, and is stable enough for
> > evaluation and discussion; a snapshot doesn't have even that level of
> > guarantee.
> What are preview builds other than a snapshot at a specific point of time?
> IMO snapshots, or nightly builds, also represent a consistent view: the
> build and all tests passed
> and for Tapestry with its numerous tests this probably means more than
> other projects' stable
> releases in terms of stability.

The difference is that it's frozen snapshot rather than a moving target.
It's difficult to sort out what issues there are in your own application
code if you can't control the other variables. Many organizations would
like to start testing against 5.4 so they can move to it when an actual
release is available. We use snapshots all the time but I never allow
snapshot dependencies to external libraries outside our organization; it
just doesn't make sense to me since they are not in my control and I
suspect this is the same way in many other organizations. Downloading the
preview releases from a temporary Maven repo may be an inconvenience but
really, it's far far better than having to download them manually then
check them into your source control. To me, it's pretty reasonable
compromise in between nightly builds and actual, sanctioned,
must-be-voted-on releases.

Kalle