tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "dragan.sahpaskix@gmail.com" <dragan.sahpas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: EmbeddedComponent Mixin: -1
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 13:41:07 GMT
On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hlship@gmail.com>wrote:

> See notes here:
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1606?focusedCommentId=13084434#comment-13084434
>
> I'm -1 on this change. It goes against an important part of the
> Tapestry design: that embedded components are part of a components
> internal structure and not exposed to the outside world as a safeguard
> that allows a component implementation to be changed without breaking
> usages of the component. This @EmbeddedMixin tears apart that barrier.

Yes, the assumption in using this concept is that embedded components (i.e.
tml) is something like a public interface for components. Nice to get
feedback from you about the suggested concept and I accept the remarks, so
really thanks for reviewing this.

At the moment component parameters and Environmentals (I guess) are maybe
the only public interface a component has, together with render phases. So
the contextmenu I did (once EmbeddedMixin is out), should use either
Parameters of the Grid or Environmentals. I implemented version with
Environmentals but this introduces new environmental classes and alters code
in GridCell or AbstractPropertyOutput.
This was not clean enough IMO, and I think I should try it with 2 new
parameters in the Grid: propertyValue and propertyName that are read only
and give the name and value of property of the rendering grid (because we
have a parameter grid.row). Is this a solution that the community considers
acceptable (just 2 new params in the grid)?

Thanks,
Dragan Sahpaski