tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: YUICompresser/Rhino as dependency?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2011 22:03:06 GMT
2011/3/3 françois facon <fra.facon@gmail.com>:
> seems to be compatible with jQuery and others toolkits.
> better performance on both client an server side. it's Green.
> +1 for tapestry-minification, or 3rd party library (in case license trouble)
> Perhaps this will also let the door open to use any compressor during the
> Maven *build.*

I think the advantage of doing it at runtime, rather than build time,
is that the un-minified files are always there, which are easier to
debug on the client. I think it's a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too
situation ... though there's the cost of aggregating and mini-fying
the JS files the first time.  Other solutions involve shipping
multiple copies of files (individual, minified, aggregated,
aggregated/minified). That can cause its own problems, not just bloat.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com