tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <thiag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hudson w/ Gradle
Date Sat, 08 Jan 2011 19:46:56 GMT
I agree with everything Robert said in this thread, except that I do like
m2eclipse. There's also another Maven-Eclipse integration plugin,
http://code.google.com/p/q4e/, which is in the Eclipse incubator now. I
haven't tried it yet.

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 20:10:43 -0200, Robert Zeigler
<robert.zeigler@roxanemy.com> wrote:

> I do use maven day-to-day.  Releases and sub-projects are a pita, I
> agree.  But:
>    a) How often do we create tapestry subprojects?
>    b) How often do we generate tapestry releases?
>    c) How often do we:
>            a) Compile code?
>            b) Run tests?
>            c) Do the day-to-day project management stuff that's required
> of a build?
>
> For a, b, and c, maven works fine (generally.  Frankly, I can't stand
> the eclipse plugin for maven, so I do all of my maven work from the
> command line, with the help of some shell scripts that simplify my most
> commonly used commands). I'm simply saying that the pain of the
> relatively rare events of a and b shouldn't necessarily outweigh the
> benefit of a familiar environment for doing a, b, and c from people who
> may wish to contribute.  For the long-term success of Tapestry, that's
> far more important than the occasional pain of a & b.  I'm just saying
> it's worth thinking through a little and weighing the pros and cons for
> the community as a whole.
>
> Robert
>
> On Jan 7, 2011, at 1/73:59 PM , Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
>> If you aren't using Maven day-to-day you may not realize what a huge
>> pain it
>> is, especially w.r.t. creating releases.
>>
>> It also gets in the way of creating new subprojects.
>>
>> Maven is a sunk cost and you don't keep throwing resources at a sunk
>> cost
>> just because its cost you in the past.
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Robert Zeigler
>> <robert.zeigler@roxanemy.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't used gradle.  I'm sure it's wonderful.  I'm sure it beats the
>>> heck out of using maven.
>>> But.  Do we really need to change build methodology /again/? We have a
>>> build.  It works.  It's not always the nicest thing in the world to
>>> work
>>> with*, but it works.  People are familiar with it.  Tools understand
>>> it.
>>> It just seems like another barrier to getting users to contribute if
>>> they
>>> have to install yet another piece of software.
>>>
>>> Just my  $0.02.
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>
>>> * It can be made much more workable with a bit of shell scripting...

>>> Gradle.

>>> learn

>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator of Apache Tapestry

>> learn
>> how I can get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!
>>
>> (971) 678-5210
>> http://howardlewisship.com

Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor
Consultor, desenvolvedor e instrutor em Java, Tapestry e Hibernate
Coordenador e professor da Especialização em Engenharia de Software com
Ênfase em Java da Faculdade Pitágoras
http://www.arsmachina.com.br