tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance Testing Lab
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 22:02:09 GMT
For this type of testing, I've used JMeter
(http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/) successfully in the past. Without
a doubt, you need at least two machines, perhaps more, otherwise the
results will be skewed as you quickly exhaust the clients even if they
don't fully parse the responses. I wouldn't worry about creating a
real-world app, a synthetic one that exercises key parts of the
framework should give more meaningful results. Memory and cpu resource
consumption should be measured on the server, throughput from the
(master) client.

I have not used Performance Hudson plugin
(http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Performance+Plugin) but it
seems ideal for this. I might be interested in participating in this
effort. There are several things that need to be done - securing
dedicated hardware is surprisingly one of the most difficult issues
(anybody can find a few boxes for temporary use, but how do you make
sure you can keep the environment stable and unchanged for years to
come). A desktop or two running under somebody's desk is not a great
solution in the long run.

Kalle