tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why does tapestry wrap comments in a space?
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 21:18:00 GMT
When I first wrote the template parsing code, I wasn't thinking in
terms of IE's bizarre mis-use of comments, so there was not reason not
to trim whitespace and then adding a leading and trailing space.
Since comments are comments, changing the parser to keep the original
whitespace is not a problem.  Add an issue to JIRA.

At the same time, I'm expecting to make some improvements so that you
can add the desired qualifiers when importing JavaScript and CSS
files, and Tapestry will output the IE-tastic magic comments (instead
of ordinary <script> or <link> tags).

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 2:01 PM, spiderbarker <jimwilson@usa.net> wrote:

> Referring to this issue from quite a while back:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-2503
>
> I understand the logic behind the resolution, but I am curious about why the
> spaces are being added in the first place.  This issue can also affect
> javascript, and like the IE scripts the problem is easy to work around.
>
> But diagnosing the problem is really not that intuitive.  The workarounds
> aren't either and they tend to break previewability as well as making the
> code itself more difficult to follow.
>
> That's why I am asking why the spaces are added.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Wilson
>
> --

Howard M. Lewis Ship