tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Padilla <f...@alum.mit.edu>
Subject proposal to make contributions mutable
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:40:18 GMT
So I was just thinking about how tapestry now makes contributions
immutable.  And that is currently a pain point of ours because we can't
properly override the settings that we want.

But I was thinking in general, and it sounds like Tapestry should just
open up the contributions to allow people to look at them and modify
then whenever.

One reason is that one of the underpinnings of Tapestry-IoC ( at least
one a long time ago ), was that it's a simple module system because the
assumption is that all modules being loaded are within one server and
all trusted.  So if all modules are trusted, why have such a big barrier
as to not allow modules to properly interact through modifying
contributions, when those modifications are trusted and expected too.

Also, if the modules are only trusted a little bit, then allowing
modules to inspect the contributions would be required, to make sure
that no module snuck in without us knowing and added rogue contributions
we did not know about..

Though I like the idea of putting up blinders between modules, it seems
kind of burdensome since it really limits what we can do, and it looks
like module system will never have truly hard lines between them.. so I
vote to take down the blinders around contributions, and let them
visible and mutable from anyone contributing to them, what do you guys
think?