tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] tapestry.apache.org (TLP)?
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:24:04 GMT
Having been involved in this before a couple of times  I posted a
"checklist" on general@jakarta to help other people decide if TLP was right
for them.
it has been reproduced on the wiki @
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/JakartaPMCRequestTLPBenchmark

I'd be more than happy to offer what advice I can.

In the meantime the benefits...
First of all theres top level branding. tapestry.apache.org for urls and
mail domains.
Secondly we'll have a clear mission defined in the charter.

Third, and most important, Tapestry would have its own PMC, and its chair
would sit on the ASF board bringing Tapestry's issues to the board and
understanding of the boards issue to the tapestry PMC.

The major criteria for TLP would appear to be maturity, of the community
not the code, and from where I sit the only hurdle to this for Tapestry
would be in convincing others that it would survive the loss of Howard.

d.

|         |           Paul Ferraro     |
|         |           <pmf8@columbia.ed|
|         |           u>               |
|         |           17/03/2005 02:57 |
|         |           "Tapestry        |
|         |           development"     |

  |       To:       Tapestry development <tapestry-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
                                              |
  |       cc:
                                        |
  |       Subject:  Re: [DISCUSS] tapestry.apache.org (TLP)?

How is top-level eligibility determined? Is there any criteria? e.g.
size of user base, jakarta incubation period, etc.

Paul

Erik Hatcher wrote:

> One benefit, besides a cooler URL, is that Tapestry's repository could
> be segregated into separate sub-projects which would make it much
> easier to have fine-grained access control and allow committers to
> contrib, but not to framework, and to house other component libraries
> with separate sets of committers.
>
> I think it'd be a good move.
>
> Erik
>

> On Mar 16, 2005, at 1:35 PM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
>> What would be the benefits of moving Tapestry up to a TLP (Top Level
>> Project)?
>>
>> It would then be a peer of Struts/Shale and MyFaces, among many, many
>> others.
>>
>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>> Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
>> Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
>> Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
>>
>> Professional Tapestry training, mentoring, support
>> and project work. http://howardlewisship.com

viruses.