tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release 3.0.3
Date Sat, 19 Mar 2005 03:02:55 GMT

On Mar 18, 2005, at 9:09 PM, Paul Ferraro wrote:
>> I only vaguely caught the commit messages.... was a method added to
>> IEngine?   I saw it added to the MockEngine with a comment about
>> IEngine.  That seems fairly dramatic if a method was added to an
>> interface - that could certainly break builds for someone upgrading.
>> If I'm mistaken, please disregard.
>
> A new method was added to the IEngine interface.
> getResourceChecksumSource() - an 3.0 adaptation from the code in the
> 3.1 branch that fixes the security hole with the asset service.
> I would expect that there most developers using custom engines out
> there extend from BaseEngine, or at least AbstractEngine.
> AbstractEngine contains the default implementation for this new
> method, so this would *not* break anyone's build unless their custom
> engine does not extend from AbstractEngine.  I would imagine that
> there are very few, if any, cases that would fall into that category.
> Would you agree?

I do agree that it is unlikely that anyone is implementing IEngine
directly, but I come from the Ant world where API compatibility is
considered mandatory.  Is it necessary to add this method there?  What
about using an extension rather than a hook off of IEngine?

I won't block a 3.0.3 based on this one item - it will not affect me as
I always extend from BaseEngine.  But it is worth being nitpicky about
API changes in general, otherwise we risk starting from scratch every
time we upgrade and have to adjust our code to account for it.

	Erik