tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Ieong <xela....@gmail.com>
Subject Suggestion: XMLHttpRequest support
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:55:53 GMT
Hi Everybody,

XMLHttpRequest is widely supported in most browsers. With
XMLHttpRequest, we can do make our webapp more interactive. Now Google
has demostrated its power:
* Gmail: http://www.gmail.com
  fast transition when changing different views, fast dynamic loading
mail content etc.
* Google suggest: http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
  auto-complete and suggest search keywords during you're typing.

But it's quite difficult to make Tapestry support XMLHttpRequest
technology at this moment, for example:
* For the business logic handling, Tapestry hasn't provided any easy
way to do so. We have to code some servlet on our own.
* For the interface rendering, there isn't any basic component ready
for this use for further application development.
* If the dynamic part is used in HTML forms, there isn't any service
can handle the request. This case applies to all interactive-rendering
HTML forms.

I hope we can discuss about this topic. As far as I know, there isn't
any web application framework able to handle this easily, but I
believe it's the best technology for the future of web applications -
we don't want to see only rich internet application or smart client
rule the future, right?

--
Alex Ieong, Macau