tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tapestry 3.1 status
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:35:19 GMT
Just checked in the code changes to support automatic creation of properties.

If you have an abstract accessor in your code, i.e.:

public abstract String getFoo();

There's now no need to put the following in the spec:

  <property name="foo"/>

In 3.0, you had to ... and you had to specify the type
("java.lang.String") to boot.

In 3.1, you only need to provide a <property> element if one of the
following is true:
- The property is persistent
- You want a property, but don't access it in code, so no accessor method
- You want to specify an initial value for the property

And even in the later case (initial value), you can do so by
overriding finishLoad() and setting a value for the property there.

So this is very good ... there were some flagrant violations of the
Dont Repeat Yourself priniciple going on in 3.0.  "Less is more!" is
the rule for 3.1.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry