tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Tapestry 3.1 status
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:07:50 GMT
Things are going quite nicely on the Tapestry 3.1 front.

I just coded the <inject> specification element.  <inject> allows a
HiveMind service (or configuration, etc. ... it leverages the same
code as the object translator) to be injected into components as
component properties.  Example:

  <inject name="mailSender" object="service:mymodule.MailSender"/>
  <inject name="toolbarItems"
object="configuration:app.ui.toolbar.ToolbarItems"/>

Or even:

  <inject name="directService" object="engine-service:direct"/>

(I just have to add an ObjectProvider for the engine-service: prefix.
Piece of cake).

What's great is that I'm getting 100% code coverage without resorting
to cumbersome integration tests (the mock unit tests, driven by the
.xml files).

I'm very much looking forward to "throwing open the gates". I've been
having a struggle with Forrest 0.6 that I hope to resolve at some
point and I have a little bit of work involving parameters (getting
rid of parameter direction) and engine services.

Tapestry is transforming yet again with the change from 3.0 to 3.1.
It's in my nature to only the see the faults in my work; so while I
delight in the news I hear of Tapestry adoption, I'm always concerned
that others will see its warts.  Perhaps I suffer from "next release
syndrome", but I think people will be hard pressed to find those warts
in 3.1!

I think it will be useful for others to start discussing the work they
expect to start doing on 3.1.  Paul's talked about improving form
validation, as has Harish. Erik or MindBridge has talked about
retrofitting Foreach and Conditional to work inside Forms (as with
FormConditional and ListEdit today).  I've been thinking in terms of
dealing with many other issues with Forms, such as handling cancels,
and refreshes properly, and untangling the mess of event handlers on
the client side.

There's the sad fact of all the documentation (particularily the new
component reference) that must be done ... this is currently hostage
to problems I'm having with Forrest 0.6.  All Tapestry 3.1
documentation will now be generated from Forrest .xml files; no raw
HTML, no DocBook.

So far I've done exactly one component, Insert:
http://jakarta.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry/tapestry/ComponentReference/Insert.html

There are placeholders for the other components in the framework.
There is nothing for the WML library, or for the components in the
contrib library.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry