tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From tapestry-...@jakarta.apache.org
Subject [Jakarta Tapestry Wiki] New: BuildingTapestry31
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:28:42 GMT
   Date: 2004-11-03T10:28:42
   Editor: HowardLewisShip <hlship@apache.org>
   Wiki: Jakarta Tapestry Wiki
   Page: BuildingTapestry31

   no comment

New Page:

Tapestry 3.1 is now well under way ... but there's the question of building it.

A set of Ant build files was created for HiveMind, called "HiveBuild".  They are designed
to be reasonably reused; that's what Tapestry does.

At this point, Tapestry 3.1 is in alpha, and needs HiveMind 1.1-alpha code as well. We're
on the bleeding edge.

You need to get from CVS two project directories, one for the jakarta-hivemind module, one
for the jakarta-tapestry module.

You also need Ant 1.6.2.

Build HiveMind (ant install).  Ant will automatically download various dependencies from the
Maven repository on ibiblio.  You might have to run it a couple of times, dependending on
what it has to download (it has to stop after copying files into Ant's lib directory).

Inside jakarta-tapestry/config create a build.properties file:
{{{
hivebuild.dir=c:/workspace/jakarta-hivemind/hivebuild
}}}

Adjust the path as necessary.  It must be the absolute path to the hivebuild directory.

Create the directory jakarta-tapestry/ext-package/lib

Copy the HiveMind libraries there, i.e., from jakarta-hivemind:
{{{
cp target/*.jar ../jakarta-tapestry/ext-package/lib
}}}

>>From the jakarta-tapestry directory, you should be able to build (ant install).

After an install you can build documentation (ant site).  This does three things:
 * Copies Forrest xdoc files (and etc.) to target/forrest-composite
 * Runs Javadoc, clover and other reports, generating into target/docs
 * Runs Forrest, to create all the HTML files, which end up in target/docs

After building the site target the first time, if you just change some xdoc documentation,
you can use the target fast-site.  That skips the middle step, which is much faster (a few
seconds for the copy, about a minute to run Forrest).

Don't fear ... this process will improve.  Eventually, Tapestry will be stable, HiveMind will
be stable, the HiveMind libraries will be up at ibiblio and this whole process will be nice.
It's already better than Tapestry 3.0's kludgey build system.