tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Mindbridge" <mindbridge...@yahoo.com>
Subject Property initializers
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 19:02:58 GMT
Hi,

I am about to check in the docs and examples I was talking about, but came across something
interesting.

The properties defined in the component specifications via <property-specification>
can be initialized using the 'initial-value' parameter. This parameter is an OGNL expression
that (at the moment) is evaluated once during the creation of the component, the value is
stored, and is later used as an initialization value whenever necessary.

Shouldn't the 'initial-value' expression be evaluated every time it is needed for initialization
instead (if not invariant, of course)?

This latter approach allows a number of uses that the former one does not (e.g. initializing
to something that depends on the bindings), and perhaps it is more natural to the users.

Should this be considered a bug? Should it be changed? (this is backward compatible if the
initial-value parameter is used as designed at the moment).

-mb