tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Harish Krishnaswamy <hkrishnasw...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Fwd: Components with style
Date Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:16:26 GMT
Please see inline...

Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Travis McCauley <travis.mccauley@alumni.virginia.edu>
>> Date: Sat Dec 13, 2003  1:56:38  PM US/Eastern
>> To: erik@ehatchersolutions.com
>> Subject: Re: Components with style
>>
>> Eric,
>> Hi. I sent this in to Tapestry-dev but it seems it didn't make the
>> list. If it seems relevant to folks, you might pass on the links.
>> Cheers, Travis
>> p.s. I got a java job up here in Toronto doing...Struts. :)
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> My comments might pertain more to component/page design but I'm not
>> totally clear what changes to Shell are being suggested so here goes.
>>
>> I tend more toward's Eric's view that, in general, components should
>> provide structural elements, not presentational. So encouraging users
>> of a component to specify class and/or id attributes is definitely  good.

I am certainly for specifying the class and id attributes but I disagree with the opinion
that
components should only provide the structural elements. My reasoning is that we are building
visual
components and that a visual component would not be one wihtout its presentational attributes.

Imagine a tab component with just headings and data for each tab without any presentational
attributes.

>> When you use CSS for layout and not just for formatting (as per WAI
>> recommendations), it is crucial to have total control over the
>> styles.  As new browsers come along and old ones are updated with new
>> CSS  behaviour, quite often the only way to provide a consistent
>> presentation to a wide range of browsers is to employ CSS tricks (eg.
>> @import) that hide certain bits of the style sheet and provide
>> slightly different CSS rules for certain browsers. For me, a dynamic
>> set of stylesheets that live in the classpath would be very difficult
>> to work with.

My intension is not to take away the control of styles from the application developer but
to not
force the developer to control the style. I am only suggesting that the components have a
default
presentation that can be overridden by the application developer/designer.

>> As for ordering link elements, the only gotchas I know about are in
>> the use of the 'title' attribute and in how user agents are supposed
>> to select 'preferred' stylesheets. If this could be an issue in the
>> design of any new Shell functionality, all relevant details can be
>> found here:

My intension to order the links is to facilitate inheritance and not to provide alternate

stylesheets. Perhaps more research needs to be done in this area but overall it seems to me
that
persistent stylesheets can simply be ordered to define specificity of an element with multiple
styles.

>> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/styles.html#specifying-external
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/links.html#linksandss
>>
>> Best Regards,